Abubakar Malami has denied the allegation levelled against him that N2 billion was paid to his office from recovered loot.
Recall that the house of representatives ad hoc committee probing the status of recovered loot had on Tuesday queried Malami on the N2 billion which it said was never approved as budgetary allocation.
The legislators while citing a letter from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said the apex bank directed the release of the funds following a request made for the money to be used to prosecute terror suspects.
But the AGF had insisted that the request did not originate from his office.
In a statement issued on Thursday by Umar Gwandu, Malami’s spokesperson, the AGF challenged any person with evidence of such payments made to him or his office to come out with proof.
He said all looted funds recovered so far have been applied in accordance with the agreements reached with nations from which the funds are repatriated.
The minister was quoted as saying that prior to the repatriation of the recovered assets, Nigeria and relevant nations signed a memorandum of understanding as to what the monies will be used for, and the government has been working in compliance with all the provisions of multinational agreements reached.
“It was on the basis of the application of the said funds in line with the agreements that Nigeria earns reputation among international committee of nations which translated into further recoveries,” Malami said.
He said the federal government has a designated account at the CBN for all recovered assets.